This Keto Chicken and Sausage Cajun Skillet is an amazing 30 minute meal packed with delicious Cajun flavor and filled with chicken, sausage and vegetables.
Making a Keto Chicken and Sausage Cajun Skillet dinner is a great way to get a delicious and well rounded meal on the table in what seems like very little time.
This skillet meal will have you enjoying a delicious and quick dinner without the carbs. Perfect for those that want to remain in ketosis.
What Kind of Sausage Can You Use In This Keto Chicken and Sausage Cajun Skillet?
For this delicious low carb skillet recipe, we used a natural smoked sausage. You have to be really careful with the type of sausage you use in this recipe as some of them can be higher in carbohydrates than you may think.
Do You Have to Use Chicken in this Keto Chicken and Sausage Cajun Skillet?
You can omit the chicken if you want to and only use the sausage. If you prefer, you can also use turkey breast in place of the chicken.
What Vegetables Can be Used for Keto Chicken and Sausage Cajun Skillet?
For this delicious skillet recipe, you can use a few different vegetables. We chose to use yellow squash, zucchini and red pepper. Other vegetables can be added or substituted at your discretion, just make sure they are keto friendly.
Sausages Can Be Keto Friendly
While not all sausages are created equally, especially when it comes to the Keto Diet, there are some you should avoid.
Maple breakfast sausages and chicken sausages are generally made with maple syrup, which is high in carbs. Some pork sausages will also have apples in them, which are generally high in carbs as well. Make sure you pay attention to the ingredients and don’t use sausages with fillers, bulking agents or preservatives. The best sausages you can use while following the Keto diet are natural ones that have easy to identify ingredients. It is important to keep a close eye on the packaging.
How to Make Keto Chicken and Sausage Cajun Skillet
One of the best parts of this recipe is that it is all done in one skillet. This means less dishes and less fuss. It also allows for all the delicious flavors to truly come to together.
We will be using chicken breast and natural sausage in this recipe as the flavors of both proteins combine very well with the crunch of the fresh vegetables.
To make this Keto Chicken and Sausage Cajun Skillet you are going to need:
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Natural smoked sausage
- Cajun seasoning
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Olive oil
- Yellow squash
- Red bell pepper
- Salt and Pepper
Step 1: Prepare the Skillet
Set your burner to medium-high and in a skillet, add in 1 tablespoon of your olive oil.
Step 2: Add the Chicken
Put your cubed chicken breast into the skillet and season it well with salt and pepper.
Step 3: Add the Seasonings
Add in ½ teaspoons of the Cajun seasoning, garlic powder and onion powder. Sprinkle it over the chicken in the skillet and sauté until the chicken in browned on all sides and properly cooked through.
Step 4: Keep it Warm
Remove the cooked chicken from your skillet and set it aside to keep it warm.
Step 5: The Veggies
Add the remaining tablespoon of your olive oil into the skillet. Place the veggies in and cook over medium-high heat.
Step 6: More Seasoning
Sprinkle the remaining Cajun seasoning, garlic powder and onion powder over top of the vegetables. Sauté until they become tender.
Step 7: The Sausage
Put the sliced sausage into the skillet and cook for an addition 2-3 minutes until it becomes hot.
Step 8: Mix Well
Add the chicken back into your skillet. Make sure to stir it all together very well to combine the mixture.
Step 9: Garnish and Serve
Your Keto Chicken and Sausage Cajun Skillet is done. Garnish the finish product with parsley if desired and serve.
- 1 lb. Boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite-sized pieces
- 12 oz. Natural smoked sausage sliced (watch the carb counts on the sausage you choose)
- 1 tsp. Cajun seasoning divided
- 1 tsp. Garlic powder divided
- 1 tsp. Onion powder divided
- 2 Tbsp. Olive oil divided
- 2 Small yellow squash cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 Small zucchini cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 Medium red bell pepper cut into bite-sized pieces
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Place the chicken pieces into the skillet, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle ½ teaspoons of the cajun seasoning, garlic powder and onion powder over the chicken in the skillet, and saute until browned on all sides and cooked through. Remove the chicken from the skillet, and set aside to keep warm.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet, and place the veggies in it over medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle the other ½ teaspoons of the cajun seasoning, garlic powder and onion powder over the vegetables, and saute until they begin to become tender.
- Mix the sliced sausage into the skillet, and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes until hot.
- Add the chicken back into the skillet, and stir to mix well.
- Serve with parsley flakes for garnish if desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 370Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 99mgSodium: 757mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 32g
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Use Frozen Vegetables to Make This Chicken and Sausage Cajun Skillet?
While you can use frozen vegetables in this skillet recipe, it is highly recommended that you stick to fresh. Fresh vegetables just provide a better flavor to this dish than their frozen counterparts. If you must use frozen vegetables in this skillet, make sure to adjust the cooking time appropriately.
What is in Cajun Seasoning and How Does it Work in Chicken and Sausage Cajun Skillet?
Cajun seasoning adds a delicious punch of flavour to this skillet. It just elevates the flavor profile so much. Cajun seasoning is comprised of cayenne pepper, paprika, garlic powder, seasoning salt, onion powder, thyme and oregano.